Gloria Gould Bishop
Gloria Gould (1906 – August 16, 1943) was the socialite daughter of industrialist heir, George Jay Gould I.
She was born in 1906, the youngest daughter of George Jay Gould I. In 1923 she became engaged to Henry A. Bishop, Jr., of Bridgeport, Connecticut. He was the son of Henry A. Bishop, Sr, who was the director of the Western Union Telegraph Co. Together Gloria and Henry had a daughter, Gioia Bishop. In 1928 Gloria divorced her first husband and she married Walter McFarlane Barker in 1930.
Gloria drowned in her swimming pool in August 1943 near Phoenix, Arizona.
Selected coverage in the New York Times
- New York Times; April 10, 1929; page 33; "Edith Weed to wed Henry A. Bishop, Jr., ex-husband of the former Gloria Gould"
- New York Times; February 7, 1930; page 21; "Mrs. Bishop wed to Barker"
- New York Times; October 23, 1934; page 19; "Mr. Henry Bishop dies"
- New York Times; August 16, 1943; page 01; "Gloria Gould Barker is drowned in swim pool at Arizona"
- New York Times; August 11, 1948; page 22; "Barker is dead; member of staff of the Valley National in Phoenix husband of the late Gloria Gould"
- 1895 Birth of Gloria Gould
- 1923 Engaged to Henry A. Bishop II (c1890-1934) at age 17
- 1925 Birth of Gioia Gould (1925-1990)
- 1929 (circa) Divorce of Henry and Gloria in Reno, Nevada
- 1929 Henry married Edith Weed
- 1930 Gloria married Walter McFarlane Barker
- 1934 Death of Henry Bishop
- 1943 Death of Gloria Gould by drowning in Arizona
- 1948 Death of Walter McFarlane Barker